News From Australia This Week...

For any discussion that's not related to the show directly.

News From Australia This Week...

Postby deanfromaustralia » May 18th, 2011, 12:35 am

Being an Australian I thought I'd kick off this thread, whose relevance to the show will be tenuous at best. But since we're ranking in the Top 5 of download countries right now - I'd say that gives us some legitimacy right?

Anyway...

The big news story of the past week and a half down under was the passing of legendary Aboriginal boxer Lionel Rose at the rather tender age of 62.

Rose was the former World Bantam Weight Champion who defeated Japan's legendary "Fighting" Harada in Tokyo in 1968 in what is regarded as one of finest bouts of a generation. He returned to a heroes welcome in Australia where thousands of people greeted him at Melbourne's airport - much to his surprise. Lionel Rose, born in to poverty in country Victoria, Australia had one of those Cinderella stories and overcame significant odds - not the least of which was his Aboriginality - to become one of Australia's true champions. Though he avoided the political arguments over Aboriginal rights in our country, he was seen as a champion of Aboriginal rights whom many looked up to. Rose died at home on the 8th May 2011.

Boxing gets a bad rap a lot of the time, but for many, it provides an outlet that gets kids off the street, into gyms and gives them a semblance of discipline.

Rose was a good man.
deanfromaustralia

Return to DHB General Chat