Authors You Should Know.

For any discussion that's not related to the show directly.

Authors You Should Know.

Postby deanfromaustralia » May 18th, 2011, 3:55 am

I'm gonna kick off this thread as well - being the connoisseur of literature that I am. Any discerning radio show should endeavor to rise above the smut sometimes and offer it's listeners (at least those who can actually string more than two words together) a little bit of culture. What form that culture takes of course can be stretched as thin as a good quality condom.

So I present to you the DBH Library - a collection of what's good in literature these days. I reckon it's as good a place as any to plug the best in indie literature rather than giving yet more oxygen to the best in shit big publishing house literature.

And for the first post here, let me introduce to the DBH Bastardos a book featuring DBH's own "THE DOG".

Bouncers and Bodyguards is a collection of astonishing true stories about the tough world of personal protection and nightclub doors from some of Britain's most notorious figures.

Read how Charlie Bronson helped his friends out on the doors of his local in the early '70s before being banged up for well over 30 years; how big man Scotty Taylor regularly ran the gauntlet of any number of wasted fucktards who regularly sought misguided retribution from the fists of fury himself; how Dave Courtney misses the violent world of the doors; how ex-football hooligan Mickey Francis ran most of Manchester's doors back in the '80s; and how an ex-Foreign Legion bodyguard spent over a week cooped up in a bleak warehouse guarding Iraqi votes in central Baghdad. By turns funny, sad and shocking, these candid accounts were written exclusively for this publication by individuals who have spent much of their working lives in what is a volatile, violent and frequently unpredictable industry.

Compiled by former bodyguard, ex-mercenary and well-known nightclub bouncer Robin Barratt, Bouncers and Bodyguards is an expose of an infamous twilight world about which rumors are laid on their arse and fucked over royally in order to present the truth of a very tough and uncompromising world.

Bouncers and Bodyguards is available in print from all the usual online portals but you might wish to hop on over to Amazon UK and shell out some of your hard earned for a truly riveting expose into the Twilight World many of us never see.
deanfromaustralia

Re: Authors You Should Know.

Postby deanfromaustralia » May 18th, 2011, 4:17 am

In the next week or so, I'm going to be featuring a totally kick-arse new author whose debut novel will hit the shelves of Amazon and it's Kindle Store on June 1st.

Ania Ahlborn from New Mexico in the U.S. has penned a truly head fucking horror novel titled "Seed" and for any readers who have enjoyed the works of Stephen King or pissed their pants to William Friedkin's "The Exorcist", this novel is going to be right up your alley.

From the blurb "Seed" takes readers on a truly spine tingling thrill ride...

he's spent his entire life running from something no one can see.

Jack Winter has a secret...

After two decades, he's sure he's escaped the shadow that haunted his childhood. That is, until his youngest daughter, Charlie, begins to change.

After a sudden highway accident and a flash of soulless eyes, Jack has no choice but to watch his little girl drown in what he's sure is a family curse.

Jack begins to realize that he never outran the darkness. It's just been hiding, waiting for the perfect moment to make a reappearance...

But this time, it hasn't come only for Jack. This time, it wants them all.

Ania keeps a bitingly funny blog "21st Century Author" over at her site which is well worth a look. On May 25th at my site Dean from Australia Dot Com, I'll be doing a feature on Ania and her book as well as posting an interview I did with her just this week. So if you have a Kindle or a phone with the Kindle app installed on it, I'd highly recommend you at this to your list.

deanfromaustralia

Postby deanfromaustralia » May 18th, 2011, 4:30 am

And of course, since I started this thread, I would be remiss if I didn't take this opportunity to plug the balls out of my own novel "The Hambledown Dream" which Scotty so kindly mentioned on the show this past week.

Published in 2010 in print and re-released this past March for the digital market, "The Hambledown Dream" is my labor of love which of course I am extremely proud of.

From the blurb:

Australian, Denny Banister had the world at his feet; a successful career, a passion for the guitar and he is in love with Sonya – his best friend and soul mate. Tragically, Denny is struck down with inoperable cancer & he is destined to die.

Meanwhile, Andy DeVries has almost nothing; he is alienated from his family, he moves through a dangerous Chicago underworld dealing in drugs, battling addiction & now he’s gone and overdosed - jeopardizing the only thing that matters to him; a place at a prestigious Conservatory for classical guitar.

Having been snatched from the abyss Andy recovers, but he is plagued by dreams - memories of a love he has never felt, and a life he's never lived. Driven by the need for redemption and by the love for a woman he's never met, Andy begins a quest to find her, knowing her only by the memories of a stranger and the dreams of a place called Hambledown...

Readers can purchase the novel direct from my website, Dean from Australia Dot Com, both in print and digital formats and as a favor to DBH listeners, any print orders of the book will be shipped to you FREE OF CHARGE.

It made Scotty blubber like a big jessie so if you're up for a teary one, consider dropping in and buying it.

The Dog holding the print copy with the original cover art.
deanfromaustralia

Postby The Dog » May 18th, 2011, 11:57 am

My story that was published in 'Bouncers & Bodyguards', along with being inspired by Dean actually stepping up and getting his book written, has pushed me to write my own book, which is near three quarters finished. I just need to pull my finger out of my hoop and get it finished!

'Knuckle Dragger' (Working title only) is a collection of some of the daft shit I've either experienced, or witnessed during my near 20 years as a pub and club door steward. The reason I chose this subject matter is because a large majority, (if not all) of the books about my profession you read these days harp on about how 'hard' the writer is, how they once fought a battalion of drunks or how they escaped death at one point or another..

A lot of these books are good, but it's a format that has been beaten to death over and over again. That's why my book is just all the funny shit that the general public never normally hear about.

It could well be a load of shit when it's done, but I'm looking forward to my test readers reaction to it once it's ready to be consumed by the masses ;)
The Dog
Site Admin

Postby NFJB » May 19th, 2011, 6:34 pm

Well Dog I got the books that you have had short parts published in and thoroughly enjoyed them even the bits you wrote ;-) Hope you do get your own book published and rest assured I will be putting a pre order in for a signed copy.
NFJB

Postby Andyg3578 » May 19th, 2011, 7:28 pm

I would recommend 'hard bastards 2' because I have trained with Kevin chan who has a chapter in the book and I consider, although he's smaller than me, is a hard bastard but one with grace. He has taught his family's own version of wing chun and is a black belt in bjj but a nice guy as well. If anyone has the chance to train at one of his schools I would recommend it.
Andyg3578

Postby deanfromaustralia » May 19th, 2011, 10:33 pm

Have you got an Amazon link for that book Andy?
deanfromaustralia

Postby Andyg3578 » May 21st, 2011, 3:13 pm

Can't seem to find it on amazon but I'll keep looking. May help if I was looking at the right book as it's called 'ultimate hardmen'. The other one is a different book by the same person.
Andyg3578

Postby Jobbyjuggler » May 22nd, 2011, 6:34 am

Another book you will be interested in is one of my favourites. It's cleverly written with just the right blend of suspense and violence. The only issue I had with it was that some of the language used was a tad heavy going. Definately worth a few quid of anyones money though. The title is "Screaming Glaswegion" or something like that. Amazon link below.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/006122837 ... 332&sr=1-4
Enjoy.
J J
May the lord bless and keep you. .... Far from me!
Jobbyjuggler

Postby deanfromaustralia » May 24th, 2011, 4:21 pm

@Jobbyjuggler - You Idiot.

deanfromaustralia

Next

Return to DHB General Chat